Job Title: Nursery/ Creche Worker
Purpose of the Post:
The Nursery Worker is a contracted part-time position, caring for groups of pre- primary children whose parents/guardians attend Church services and activities.
The attendant will be expected to interact and work with parent volunteers.
Hours of Work:
The Nursery Worker will normally be required onsite at First Baptist Church Halifax on each Sunday in the months January to June and September to December. Normal hours of work will be from 10:15 AM to 12:15 PM. Additional hours may be required, with sufficient notice, for specific events such as Congregational meetings.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Early Childhood Education, Child and Youth studies, Community Recreation and/or related experience in a child care or recreation setting
- Minimum 1-year experience working with children
- Current First Aid/ CPR certification
- Current child abuse registry check, Criminal record check, vulnerable sector check or willingness to complete upon hire
From 6 months to 5 years, approximately 2-3 children in a growing congregation
$15 per hour
Duties and Responsibilities – Specific
The Nursery Worker will be required to be responsible for:
a) The care and well-being of each child in their care.
b) Planning, organising and supervising play and creative activities for children in the crèche.
c) Applying your knowledge of healthy child development to program planning and development.
d) Assisting with the development of communication skills, motor skills, problem solving, social skills and storytelling using a supplied Christian-based curriculum.
e) Assisting with basic hygiene and toilet training.
f) Keeping all records up to date and accurate in accordance with the Church’s Plan to Protect.
g) Communicating effectively with parents/carers in a supportive, non-judgmental manner.
h) Undertaking all these duties ensuring the right to confidentiality of the staff, carers and children involved in the crèche.
i) Maintaining a safe and inviting atmosphere for the children and their families by tidying up toys and books at the end of each shift.
j) Collaborating with the Minister of Faith Development to ensure that the creche is stocked with age appropriate toys and activities.
Methods of Working:
- The Nursery Worker will be expected to adopt a participative and collaborative style of team working.
- The Nursery worker will accept no more than 2 infants (under 18 months of age) and no more than 3 other children in the crèche at one time. If additional spaces are required a parent volunteer will be assigned.
- Parents or guardians are required to remain in the Church building while their children are in the crèche and must be able to be contacted without delay.
- The Nursery Worker will comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Legislation in the performance of their duties and responsibilities.
Interested candidates can send resumes to Rev. Jenny Drewitz, Minister of Faith Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Rev. Jenny Drewitz
1300 Oxford Street
For questions, please contact Rev. Jenny Drewitz at 902-422-5203